Ask Englishman Nick Mitchell, a divorced dad with three grown kids who gulped 25 energy drinks in six hours and suffered a brain hemorrhage and a series of mini-strokes from the caffeine overdose.
Mitchell survived the 23 Red Bulls and two Monster energy drinks that he downed in succession during a karaoke event.
But eight years later, Mitchell, a 56-year-old mechanic, still struggles to remember and pronounce some words. He’s campaigning to ban the drinks.
“These drinks nearly killed me. I was so close to death and thought I might not make it through surgery,” Mitchell told Metro. “They should not be sold. They are as bad as drugs and should be banned.”
“Caffeine can cause a hyperactivity episode in the brain,” neurologist Mohammed Dashti told the Mirror. “Too many of these in a short space of time can lead to a rapid surge of blood flow and the narrowing of vessels. This is a very dangerous combination and can cause the rupture of a blood vessel that can led to a bleed on the brain or a heart attack.”
A Red Bull spokesman told Metro that a 250 ml can of Red Bull contains 80 mg of caffeine, about the same as a cup of home-brewed coffee. The European Food Safety Authority has stated that caffeine intake of up to 400mg per day (five 250 ml cans or five cups of coffee) does not raise safety concerns for the general healthy adult population.”