I might sue over KelniGVG deal – Ras Mubarak

0
27

NDC Member of Parliament for Kumbungu, Ras Mubarak, has said he may sue stakeholders in the Kelni GVG deal if the Telcos plug into the common monitoring platform and secures access to private data.

His comment comes as controversy surrounding the deal deepens.

Speaking on Citi TV’s Breakfast Daily Show, Ras Mubarak said the common monitoring platform will breach the privacy of Ghanaians.

“If the telcos allow a plug in, not only will I be suing, but I will actually be suing my service provider. I don’t want MTN and Vodafone to know my location anywhere in the country. That is an intrusion of my privacy.”

His threat comes days after an Accra High Court dismissed an injunction application filed by two Ghanaian citizens, Sara Asafu-Adjei and Maximus Amertogoh over the controversial KelniGVG deal.

The judge, Justice Anthony Yeboah who presided over the case said he took the decision because the two plaintiffs were engaging in “peddling evidenceless fear.”

He further expressed surprise that the telcos whose networks had been connected to and are defendants in the case did not challenge the explanations by the Communications Ministry.

The High court judge thus concluded that the injunction application lacked merit.

The two dragged the Ministry of Communications, Attorney General, National Communications Authority and six others to court seeking among others an order restraining the government from implementing the Common Platform.

The key reliefs the two sought includes an “an order of interlocutory injunction restraining the respondents, whether, by themselves, their servants, workmen, hirelings, agents, privies or any persons claiming under or through them, whosoever described from implementing and operationalizing the Common Platform until the final determination of this suit.”

Despite the dismissal of the injunction suit, the substantive matter remains to be heard.

Background

IMANI Africa has waged an advocacy against the KelniGVG contract for a common platform operated by a private firm, KelniGVG to help government maximize revenue collection in the telco industry.

President of IMANI Africa, Franklin Cudjoe insists that the deal is not in the interest of Ghana and must be abrogated.

Release documents 

But on Tuesday July 3, an Accra High Court in another suit against the deal, ordered the Communications Ministry to make available all documents relating to the deal to two citizens, and a pressure group, Citizens Ghana movement.


The court gave the Ministry, a deadline of July 9th to comply with the order.

The order followed a separate application by the two persons, John Ato Bonful and Nana Ama Adom-Boakye, and the Citizens Ghana Movement, praying the court to give them access to the documents in the name of national interest.

Communications Ministry submits KelniGVG contract details to AG

The Ministry of Communication on Monday submitted all relevant documents regarding the controversial Kelni GVG contract to the Attorney General’s Department, pending filing at the court registry.

In all, there are four separate suits against the deal.

By: Marian Ansah/citinewsroom.com/Ghana

Source: citinewsroom