12 Killed in Terrorist Attack on Military Parade in Iran’s Ahvaz

0
93
Injured soldiers on the ground after the attack on the Ahvaz’s military parade – CNN

Rabat – Twelve people, including a child, have been killed in a terrorist attack on a military parade in Ahvaz, in southwestern Iran.

Twelve people were killed and around sixty others were injured when unknown gunmen opened fire on an Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) parade in Ahvaz, southwest Iran, Saturday, September 22, Iranian news agencies reported.

At least 8 members of the IRGC were killed in the attack, as well as “women and children” who came to watch the parade, Iranian state-run news agency IRNA reported.

The attackers opened fire from behind the stand during the parade.

Iranian forces killed two of the terrorists in a clash after the attack and captured two others, according to Iran Press.

The Khuzestan province deputy governor, Ali-Hossein Hosseinzadeh, said in an interview with Tasnim News Agency that 10 people had been killed and 21 other people had been injured in the attack that disrupted the military parade in Ahvaz.

Iran’s foreign minister Javad Zarif pointed the finger at a “foreign regime” through his Twitter account.

“Terrorists recruited, trained, armed & paid by a foreign regime have attacked Ahvaz. Children and journos among casualties. Iran holds regional terror sponsors and their US masters accountable for such attacks. Iran will respond swiftly and decisively in defense of Iranian lives,” Zarif wrote.

According to Iran Press, the Arab Struggle Movement for the Liberation of Ahvaz claimed responsibility for the attack.

The group receives support from Saudi Arabia and the UK, Iran Press asserted.

IRGC spokesman Ramezan Sharif said the attackers belong to a terrorist group supported by Saudi Arabia, Press TV reported.

“The individuals who fired at the people and the armed forces during the parade are connected to the al-Ahvaziya group which is fed by Saudi Arabia,” Sharif said.