Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has confirmed Ernesto Valverde will remain at the helm beyond this season, putting to bed doubts over the Spaniard’s future.
Valverde, 55, came in for scathing criticism from some sections of the Barca fanbase after the club suffered a humiliating Champions League defeat to Liverpool earlier this month.
- Valverde clinched the club’s 26th La Liga title this season and could add a 31st Copa del Rey if they triumph over Valencia on May 25.
- Despite domestic success, Barca once again faltered in Europe, squandering a three-goal cushion to the Reds in the semi-final.
- Barca led the first leg 3-0, but capitulated in the return fixture, conceding four goals to draw memories of last year’s similar defeat to Roma.
- The Italian club pulled off a sensational “remontada” in the 2017/18 quarter-finals, beating Barca 3-0 in the second leg having trailed 4-1 in the first.
- Barca’s shortcomings in the Champions League have put heavy scrutiny on Valverde’s tenure, but Bartomeu has now backed the coach.