- After spending months of intense creativity and hard work, SA Fashion Week celebrates the announcement of the seven finalists selected by a diverse panel of the country’s fashion industry leaders for their esteemed New Talent Search.
SA Fashion Week’s New Talent Search is the industry’s most definitive fashion award in South Africa.
Established in 1998, this competition serves as a springboard for the designers who enter, with those selected as finalists securing several opportunities for long-term growth.
Now in its 21st year, the New Talent Search is illustrative of SA Fashion Week’s long-term commitment to the development of young design talent in the country. They plan to offer mentoring support to those designers who display strong potential for commercial growth. This will help in contributing to the growth of the local industry and the economic growth of South African GDP.
The New Talent Search provides invaluable industry insights and the opportunity for successful entrants to showcase their skills whilst working closely with sought-after media partners, buyers and new clients.
Amongst the many benefits of winning the prize will be essential funds to get the started and mentorship to kick-start their businesses.
The brief for the 2019 New Talent Search is Shaping the Future of Sustainable Fashion.
Entrants were required to consider 2020 world trends and submit a detailed portfolio of their proposed collection consisting of seven (7) looks. Designers were briefed to combine contemporary shapes, styles and construction with their creative
inspiration. Essential to the brief was the undertaking of substantial research to ensure an understanding of sustainable fashion and the importance of the designer’s role in shaping its future.
The Five industry judges who judged the 2019 SA Fashion Week New Talent Search which took place on the 13 August:
1. Leigh Toselli, Freelance Editor, Stylist and Producer – Fashion, Beauty and Decor specialist
2. Jackie May, Twyg, Editor and Writer
3. Cyril Naicker, Country-Coordinator, Fashion Revolution
4. Annette Pringle, The Fashion Agent and
5. Emelda Mashamaite, Buyer, Luminance
SA Fashion Week is happy to announce and congratulate the following seven New Talent Search Finalists:
1. Azaria Khoza – The Breed, Johannesburg
2. Jacques Bam – The BAM Collective, Pretoria
3. Laura Ferreira – House of Lucent, Cape Town
4. Lo’ice Seekane – Lo’ice, Johannesburg
5. Mas’ooda Mather – Mas’ooda, Johannesburg
6. Safiya Noor Mahomed – Baie Abayas, Limpopo
7. Thato Ditsele – Armor Designs, Johannesburg
The Winner of the New Talent Search receives:
• R30 000.00 towards the development of the designer’s SS21 Collection in collaboration with The Fashion Agent
• Representation by The Fashion Agent for one year, valued at R11 400.00
• Showcase at the 2020 New Talent Search, valued at R12 500.00
• One free stand at the SAFW Designer Pop-Up, valued at R 6 000.00
All finalists will receive a free stand at the SS20 Trade Show where they are provided with the invaluable opportunity to do market research and promote and sell to boutiques, departmental and online stores.
Total prize value: ± R60 000.00
The Winner will be announced on the 23rd October 2019, whilst the SAFW Trade Show, will take place between 23-26 October 2019.
Follow Glam Africa on social media: @GLAMAFRICAMAG