The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has honoured 31 teachers from across the country as it marks this year’s World Teachers’ Day.
Speaking during the celebrations in Nairobi, TSC Chief Executive Officer Dr. Nancy Macharia said the 31 teachers had “consistently demonstrated exemplary performance in teaching, management and effective delivery of the curriculum for quality education.”
Some of them were feted for beating all odds and shining in various aspects of their career.
“I wish to state that the process of identifying the teachers to be rewarded today has been done in strict conformity to the TSC Performance Recognition, Reward and Sanction Policy Framework. All the 31 teachers will be feted based on the rewards system outlined in this TSC policy – which stresses on meritocracy and detailed due diligence in recognising staff,” she said.
“I wish to state that we are not in any way suggesting that the 31 teachers are the only remarkable teachers we have in the practice. In fact, this number is just the tip of the ice berg. And we, at the TSC, will keep finding more ways to ensure all our teachers feel recognised and appreciated for their work.”
The TSC boss said the commission would go ahead to recommend the outstanding tutors for recognition at various levels in line with Government Policy.
Among the 31 teachers is Mr. Peter Tabichi of Keriko Mixed secondary school who won the Global Teacher of the Year in 2018.
Also on the list is Mr. Eric Ademba of Asumbi Girls school who won the African Union Continental Teacher of the Year in 2019 and, Jane Kimiti of Othaya Girls secondary won the African Union Continental Teacher of the Year (2020).
Meanwhile, a moment of silence was held in honour of teachers who succumbed to COVID-19 since the outbreak of the pandemic. According to TSC, 90 teachers have succumbed to COVID-19 over the last one year.
“Allow me to first of all celebrate posthumously our Ninety (90) Heroes and Heroines who succumbed to COVID-19 over the last year, some of them in the middle of their tireless efforts to ensure learning in our schools was back on track,” she said.
Dr. Macharia noted that all teachers have so far received at least the first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, urging all tutors to purpose to get fully vaccinated.
The event was attended by education stakeholders and members of teachers unions.
List of the 31 teachers honoured by TSC on 2021 World Teachers Day:
- Maiyo Sammy Kipchumba (Kapsabet Boys – Nandi)
- Florah Mulatya (Kenya High)
- Kuria John Munyua (Mang’u High)
- William Macharia Mwangi (Alliance High)
- Waweru Jacinter Njeri (Mary Hill Girls – Kiambu)
- Nzyoka Stephen Ngoma (Utafiti Pry-Kibwezi)
- Josleen Karimi Mugambi (Kathigiri Boarding – Meru)
- SR Onyancha Anne M (St. Peters Mumias)
- Kurgat Charles Kimutai (Tenwek Boarding – Bomet)
- Magut Isaac Kipruto (St. Mathews Septonok – Nandi)
- Jerotich Getrude (Nandi Hills Pry – Nandi)
- Lucas Opiyo Okello (Igorera Sec. – Kisii)
- Jason Mogoa Onyango (Ndonyo Sec – Kisii)
- Salat Adow Alim (Rhamu Day Sec. – Mandera)
- Rosebella K. Munzala (St Joseph’s Girls Kitale – Trans Nzoia)
- Edward Condo Gona (Mnamwenga Pry Sch. Kilifi)
- Julius Munguti Nzioka (Kwa Mulungu Pry Sch -Kitui)
- Abdikadir Isaack Sheik (Banisa Pry Sch – Mandera)
- Welly Hassan (Elan Pry Sch -Garissa)
- Abdi Abey Abdullahi (Malaba Pry Wajir)
- Catherine Karanga (Thika High Sch – Kiambu)
- Aggrey Warialo (Natando Pry Sch for PI Bungoma)
- Asli Muhamed Abdi (Wajir Special Sch)
- Margaret Njuguna (Thika Primary for VI Kiambu)
- Kuria Willie Mwangi (Murang’a High Sch)
- Florah Mulatya (Kenya High Sch Nairobi)
- Lydia Nelima Namisi (Nzoia Sugar Primary Bungoma)
- Mathew Masaku Wambua (Kari Mwailu Pri Sch Makueni)
- Ademba Eric Otieno, MBS (Asumbi Girls Homa bay)
- Jane Kimiti HSC (Othaya Girls Nyeri)
- Peter Tabichi, MBS (Keriko Sec Nakuru)
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Former sports CS Hassan Wario convicted over Rio games scam