A host of updates regarding Ronald Koeman’s plans for Barcelona’s squad have been forthcoming online over the last 24 hours.
Change at the helm
Former Blaugrana star Koeman was of course appointed the new manager at the Camp Nou last week.
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) August 19, 2020
The Dutchman’s appointment came on the back of Barcelona’s 2019/20 campaign coming to a close in embarrassing fashion.
A Champions League quarter-final meeting with eventual champions Bayern Munich saw the Catalans downed by 8 goals to 2.
Incredibly, the defeat marked Barca’s heaviest in almost 80 years.
Suarez out/Coutinho in
As such, it came as little surprise when Quique Setien was quickly given his marching orders, with Koeman the man chosen to lead Barcelona forward into a new era.
The change on the club’s bench, however, is expected to mark just the beginning of a major Blaugrana overhaul ahead of next season.
In fact, recent comments on the part of club president Josep Maria Bartomeu hinted that all but 7 of Koeman’s inherited squad could be on the move this summer.
And, as outlined above, updates on a host of those expected to find new clubs, as well as others set to stay put, have today been forthcoming.
First up comes Luis Suarez.
As widely reported across the Spanish media, veteran hitman Suarez has been informed that he is no longer part of the Barcelona project moving forward.
Ronald Koeman is said to have made personal contact with the 32-year-old by phone, to inform him of the club’s decision:
Ronald Koeman ha comunicat aquest matí a Luis Suárez, via telefònica, que no compta amb ell per la temporada vinent pic.twitter.com/GsBzv4lYGY
— El Barça juga a RAC1 (@FCBRAC1) August 24, 2020
Following Suarez out the Camp Nou exit door, meanwhile, is expected to be Arturo Vidal.
As per Mundo Deportivo, the new Blaugrana boss’ 2nd call of the day was made to all-action midfielder Vidal, with the Chilean having also been informed that his sale has been sanctioned.
And claims of a Koeman clearout have since only continued to mount, with Ivan Rakitic and Samuel Umtiti the latest Barca stars rumoured to be on the chopping block this summer:
Ronald Koeman y su ☎️ hoy 🔥
📂 Luis Suárez 2021
📁 Arturo Vidal 2021
📂 Rakitic 2021
📂 Umtiti 2023
El técnico comunicó via tlf a los jugadores que NO cuenta con ellos. Que busquen salida, jugadores con +1 o Samuel con +3 #mercato
— Gerard Romero (@gerardromero) August 24, 2020
For a trio of others who’s futures in Catalunya appeared very much up in the air ahead of the 2020/21 campaign, though, the news is more positive.
Just days after it was assured that both Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba did not form part of Koeman’s plans, the pair are now said to be safe at Barca.
It is added, however, that the former will no longer be guaranteed of a starting berth.
Joining Busquets and Alba in the vision of the Blaugrana’s latest tactician, meanwhile, is Philippe Coutinho.
On the back of a season on loan with Bayern Munich, the widespread assumption had since been that attacking midfielder Coutinho would be pushed towards a permanent departure this summer.
However, it is now claimed that ‘Koeman has also already spoken to Coutinho to inform him that he wants him in his project’.